Tuesday 9 June 2009

First day at work.

First day in an insurance company for my work (experience). Well, lets say I haven't heard of the words...'premium', 'quotation', 'sum insured' and many more insurance jargon for a loooooooong time. Actually, since when I was physically away from my mum. LOL! Actually I was glad I stuck on to her like a magnet all those years when she was working as it really did helped me grasp what on earth these words meant and how the whole insurance thing work.

There were two similar aged people working there too to gain work experience (like me), one is Ken (my relative's friend) and the other is Coco (a girl whom I worked with during CNY 08). [Totally unrelated, her bf is Naija too! LOL! And she is addicted to black (no racial discrimination intended) people like a fat kid loves cake!!! No, I am not addicted to them but I don't hate them either. Colour really doesn't matter to me, the individual as a person is what matters most.] Anyway moving on, I arrived 20minutes earlier and someone finally gave me a task like half an hour later!

As usual, being at work the first day, everything was done so quickly (I am very the semangat). I kept bugging them for work to do! LOL! There was quite a lot to do if you know what to do but I am still learning as I am not familiar with the process yet. What I find most interesting is that they actually SPEAK in Cantonese to their clients. Technically, it shouldn't be a problem for me but OH MY LORD!!! I was given the most tough task EVER on my first day! I was asked to make calls to clients to remind them that their policy is due in a week time and if they want to renew it, I had to remind them to pay up. This is so high school treasurer's job...a.k.a. LOAN SHARK! LOL! Honestly, I almost pee in my pants when I was given that task. It was my first day at work, first time calling up strangers, first time speaking fully in Cantonese after ages, first time using insurance terms IN CANTONESE! HOLLY tuuuuut!

One of my colleague thought me what to do and how and she did a few examples for me to see how she spoke to clients. Then it was all up to me. Seriously, my fingers were like frozen and ready to fall off anytime! I was THAT nervous! DUH! Trust me, I bet the client was blur with what I said. Not to mention the addressing part! You know how Chinese surnames are not pronounced similar to English pronunciations?! For example, Mr. Lee=Lei Sang, Mrs. To=Dou Tai, Miss Lim=Lam Siew Che etc. Knowing I am not from a Chinese educated background, this IS my worst nightmare! Till now I still don't know how to pronounce my company's name properly in Cantonese. LOL! It's either Wan Kau or Wan Dau, similar =p

I did some minor paperwork too like filing and photocopy and also sending out letters. It is so funny how everything had to be rushed before 4pm for the postman to collect =s That was madness! Anyway, according to my work experience colleagues, I was considered lucky to have done what I did today (basically the calling up clients part) as they did not even do that on their first day! Hmm...maybe I am but the anxiety was definitely not positive! Freak the sh*t out of me! But hey, am getting the hang of it =D

Oh yea...I forgot to bring snacks and I didn't notice my appetite increased. Being the super hero, I didn't bring snacks and only had a small bowl of muesli this morning. My tummy grumbled LOUDLY just an hour before my lunch time and again an hour before off work time. Damn! I reached home at 7.30pm. I swear, I could SWALLOW a cow! Need to slowly re-train my tummy =(

This is the time to reset my biological clock. Hope this post was not boring as it was purely words. LOL! Watched 13 going on 30 (again) while swallowing my cow. Time to think what to wear for tomorrow and what to bring for lunch and...I am going to bed!

No comments: