Saturday 24 January 2009

Chinese New Year info!

An interesting site to visit: http://www.aboutcny.co.uk/do.html

Yes, it's got all the traditions and do and don'ts for CNY =) Because I'm so far away and all alone during the celebration, I will follow some of the superstitions =p

1. Cleaning(28th Day of Month 12)
Each household will organise 'cleaning day' involving all members of the family to clear away all dirt in the house, indicating the clearing of negativity and bringing in new spirit.
*Hence, I am vacuuming my room after this post. LOL!

2. Chinese people will also have their hair-cuts and nail-clipping on this day (28th Day of Month 12), to get rid of any sickness or negativity. It is said that hair-cutting or nail clipping during the first few days of Chinese New Year is prohibited. As hairs and nails are inherited from parents and the cutting of hair or nail during the first few days may shorten the parents life or cause ill-health.
*Hence, I cut my nails today...and don't plan to cut my hair. LOL!

3. It is believed that if children stay awake the entire night of Chinese New Year eve, their parents shall remain in good health in the coming year. This tradition is called "Guarding the Night or "Shou Sui".
*Hence, I will try to stay awake on Sunday till past midnight. LOL!

4. (15th Day of Month 1) Besides entertainment and beautiful lanterns, another important part of the Lantern Festival, or Yuanxiao festival (Lantern Festival) is eating small dumpling balls made of glutinous rice flour.
*Because there is no entertainment and beautiful lanterns here, I can only make the glutinous rice balls. LOL!

5. (4 is a bad number to stop) Erm...I will follow...the no slaughtering and breaking things on the first day of CNY. Also to avoid housework, showing sour faces (lol!), handling sharp objects, using negative words and splashing water out of my...room? Yea. LOL!

Reading the link made me CRAVE for 'nian gao' (with desiccated coconut!) and obviously...'ang paus' LOL!

No comments: