Thursday 4 October 2007

Making friends...

Another day passes by. There is no more classes for this week as it was the first week and there are no lab classes for the first week. Great. So we have the whole week free and to grasp what the lectures on Monday was about. It is not easy as they have heavy ascent and a few lecturers were monotonous. Anyway, today we went to the Student Office to sort things out and it was closed....AGAIN! I think it was the third time we went to the office and it is always closed! The timings on the handbook they provided was even wrong! So we went back to our halls but I've decided to go to the 'Discount store' down the street to get some stuff. I walked in a pretty fast pace as I went alone. I was looking around and I sort of think about the fact that I am in a foreign country by myself...how independent I am =p well of course besides the fact that my parents are funding me. Anyway, I bought more hangers as I did not have enough. I got 8 for 1pound and I finally bought a knife! The knife was for 2.50pounds. It was so difficult to cut carrots and vegetable with my little fruit knife that I brought with me from Malaysia.

Then the day went by pretty fast as I was packing my room, trying to keep myself busy. Then it was dinner time. The thought of having to prepare the food and borrowing Tony's pan kinda make my butt heavier. I got up to make dinner anyway. Coincidentally, Subi was also entering the kitchen to make her dinner. Our cooker (four burners) doesn't work so we had to share a mini cooker (two burners) which Jenevive brought from her house. We have been using that since we got here! Sad! Anyway, my meal was simple for tonight. I heated up a frozen pre-packed Cornish pie in the microwave oven which we all chipped in to get (I paid 4pounds for my share...yea it is kinda cheap =p ). It smells beautiful! Basically it is beef, carrots and onion stew topped with mashed potato and cheddar cheese! YUM! I have loads of raw Chinese cabbage so I cooked a little side order for myself. A Chinese dish....stir fry Chinese cabbage with carrots.

I ate while chatting with Subi and I think I am fitting in better than expected. I guess it is always the first time the home-sick part is the worst. She kind of told me a lot about her background and about Dubai...a country that has a lot of advantages and weird disadvantages. We had fun. Then when we were about to leave, Jenevive came in. We chatted in the kitchen for a while. Then I asked her "Are 40 denier tights suppose to see through your skin?" That question ended up to a 2hour conversation! LOL! She was friendly...she showed me her tights and we talked about fashion and make up and she let me in her room to see her make up collection! LOL! So she showed me her make up and yes she has loads of it! "I just like to put on make up", she says. She's a drama student by the way so it explains. I think we can click as we have some similarities in the things we like =) so yea...we'll see how it goes!

*PS: Tights are UK version of Malaysia's pantyhose but it is thicker and the material keeps you warm so you can wear skirt in this horrifying whether =p

No comments: